Akanksha Damini Joshi
AK56 vs CB 56
#AK56 vs #CB56 #AbTakChappan #ChappanBhog #FearAndLove #56DishesOfLove #happynewyear2022
Some have the AK 56. You know, the dhishkiyaun 🔫 dhishkiyaun variety?! In India we have the CB 56. The DISHkiyaun 🍛DISHkiyaun varieties !
This Kanha. Yep. Kannahiya, Krishna, Brijwala Gwala. He is totally my kinda guy. He eats eight meals a day. Lots of milk, lots of cream, lots of curd. He loves his cows. They love him back.
Kanha loves, love.
Pandit ji, the tikkiwala from our famous sweetshop in Lucknow, #ChappanBhog tells me of a time when the people of Braj - farmers, cowherds - used to offer many offerings to the Lord of Rains, Indra. Huge ceremony for him used to be held every year.
Kanha, one of the many cowherd boys, would notice this. But he also noticed something else.
When the women of Braj prepared the offerings, when the men served the offerings ... they did not have a smile in their eyes. Their lips did not dance with joy. Neither did their breath sway with love. He saw a trembling. He sensed a fear.
Now Kanha detests fear. For where fear is, love is not. Where love is, fear is not.
So Kanha. Yes, my #Brajwala Gwala. He says, "What rubbish! No appeasement of Indra!" You know the rest of the story. Indra gets angry. It rains and rains. Kanahiyya picks up Goverdhan on his littlest finger. And ...
... then. After seven days. Not so far from #Lucknow.
The dark rain clouds of fear, of ignorance blow over. The sun shines. Love pours. There is celebration. Love replaces fear. The women and men of Braj offer to Kanha with a smile in their eyes, lips dancing with joy, breath swaying with delight - Chappan Bhog, fifty six offerings of delicacies.
Aree, 8 meals a day X 7 days Kanha held the goverdhan = ?! Yep. 56. To make up for all the missed meals!
Mulahiza farmaiye the DISHes which have all kinds of regional variations.
Here is the list of the Chappan bhog #MahaPrasadam from the #Jagannath Puri temple :
1. Sadha Anna- Simple Rice
2. Ghee Anna- Rice mixed with pure ghee
3. Khechudi- Rice mixed with lentils
4. Thali Khechudi- A dish made with rice, lentil, ghee and sugar
5. Kanika- A combination of Rice, Ghee and Sugar
6. Dahi Pakhala- Rice mixed with Curd and water
7. Ada Pakhala- Rice mixed with rice, ginger and water
8. Mitha Pakhala- Rice mixed with sugar and water
9. Odia Pakhala- Rice mixed with ghee, lemon and salt
10. Gaja- A simple, sweet and fried dish made of wheat and soaked in sugar syrup
11. Khaja- A sweet dish, prepared from basic ingredients like maida, is essentially the layered fritters soaked in sugar syrup.
12. Ladoo- A delicious sweet dish made with flour, ghee and sugar
13. Magaja Ladoo- An extremely delicious ladoo made with gram flour, ghee, milk and sugar
14. Jeera Ladoo- A ladoo prepared with some basic ingredients like cumin seeds, lemon juice, sugar and salt
15. Marichi Ladoo- A type of ladoo made with some key ingredients like wheat and sugar
16. Jagannath Ballav- An item made of wheat, sugar and more ghee which is black in color
17. Khuruma- A dish made with wheat and ghee
18. Luni Khuruma- A type of salty biscuit made of wheat, ghee and salt
19. Mathapuli- A special dish made of ghee, ginger and a kind of bean ground into a thick paste
20. Kakara- An Odia cuisine made of ghee and wheat
CAKES, PANCAKES AND PATTIES ITEMS:
21. Poda Pitha- A baked cake made of rice, urad dal, coconut, jaggery and ghee
22. Chittau- A type of steam cake made with rice, coconut, sugar and ghee
23. Manda- A type of cake made of rice, coconut, jaggery, cheese and ghee
24. Arisa- A flat cake prepared with rice flour, ghee, jaggery
25. Tripuri- Another flat cake made of rice flour and ghee
26. Puri- A deep fried item (like a small thin pancake) made of flour and ghee
27. Luchi- A pancake like item made with maida and ghee
28. Rosapaik- A cake made with wheat and ghee
29. Jhili- A delicious sweet cuisine made of rice flour, sugar and ghee
30. Kanti- A dish made with rice flour and ghee
31. Amalu- An item made of wheat, sugar and ghee
32. Bara- A fried item made with Biri/ Urad dal and ghee
33. Dahi Bara- A dish made of Biri/ Urad dal and Curd
34. Khiri- A dessert recipe made with milk, rice and sugar
35. Papudi- An item prepared only from the cream of milk
36. Khua- A dessert item prepared out of pure milk slowly boiled over many hours to a soft custard-like consistency
37. khira- A tasty dish made of milk, cheese, ghee and sugar
38. Sarapuli- The most famous yet difficult milk dish prepared from cream, milk and sugar
39. Rasabali- A sweet odia dish made of milk, cheese and sugar
40. Malpua- Another dessert dish made of maida, sugar, milk and ghee
41. Tadia- A traditional odia cuisine made of fresh cheese, sugar and ghee
42. Chhena Khai- A dish made with fresh cheese, milk and sugar
DAL AND OTHER SIDE ITEMS:
43. Mitha Dal(Sweet Dal): A thick dal made from Arhar dal (Pigeon pea/Legume) which is sweet in taste.
44. Biri Dal- A dal made with Biri/ Urad
45. Chana Dal- Another type of dal made with chana dal
46. Dalma- It is a typical Odia dish which is a combination of dal and vegetables such as: Baigana (Eggplant), Kakharu (Pumpkin), Bean, Kanda Mula (sweet potato), Coconut, Bodhi (a dried root vegetable that looks like a mushroom having rich proteins) with hing (asafoetida). Tomatoes (Bilati Baigana in Odia) are not used in Puri Abhada as it’s a foreign vegetable.
47. Muga Dalma- It is a type of odia dish prepared with lentil dal and other vegetables
48. Besara- It’s a mixed vegetable curry with plenty of coconut and black mustard seeds.
49. Mahura- Another type of mixed vegetable curry that uses very basic ingredients like Kakharu (Pumpkin), Saru (Arbi/ Taro) Kanda Mula (Sweet potato).
50. Saga- A dish made with leafy green plants like Spinach, Leutia, Koshala etc.
51. Khata- A sour side item made with cooked mango, apple and grape mixed and cooked together
52. Potala rasa- It’s spicy gravy based odia dish in which the main ingredients are Potala (Pointed gourd) and coconut milk
53. Raita- A dish made with yogurt, cucumber, radish and salt
54. Pita- An item made with fried flowers of Neem tree
55. Goti Baigana- A dish prepared with small eggplants with a shredded coconut sauce
56. Baigana- A fried item made of eggplants
Ye hua na, khaalis, timeless #AbTakChappan !
May your coming new year be as timeless and as yummy as this food story of beloved Kanha. Yo Kanhiya Laal ki !
Yummy New Year ahead. Khoob khao, khoob khilao!
ChappanBhog Mahaprasadam list, courtesy :